India is rightly known as the “land of faith” with millions of gods and goddesses and uncountable places of worship. The subcontinent is well known for its peaceful co existence of different cultures, heritages and traditions making it one of the most popular destinations for people seeking spirituality. Given below are the top 15 popular pilgrimage destinations in India which will evoke immense devotion within you:
1. Vaishno Devi Temple, Jammu and Kashmir[caption id="attachment_10515" align="aligncenter" width="810"] Vaishno Devi Temple, Katra[/caption] Known for being the earthly home of Goddess Shakti, Vaishno devi is one of the most important and significant hub for devotees of Goddess Durga and most popular pilgrimage sites in India. Located among the Trikuta Hills, the temple is a long walk up to the holy cave (although there are alternative methods of transport available). This journey will definitely be etched into your memory due to its pure divinity, surrounding thick forests and picturesque valley.
Read Also: Top 10 Religious Places in Uttarakhand
2. Sun temple, Konark[caption id="attachment_10516" align="aligncenter" width="810"] Sun temple, Konark[/caption] Considered as being one of the masterpieces in Indian architecture, the sun temple is a significant destination for individuals who are religiously inclined. Along with being the epitome of brilliant architecture the temple structure remains unmatched in spirituality. Every nook and corner of this temple is engraved with fine carvings making it an enchanting experience along with being drenched in divinity of the sun Lord.
Read Also: 10 Uncommon And Unusual Festivals In India
3. Somnath temple, Gujarat[caption id="attachment_10517" align="aligncenter" width="810"] Somnath temple, Gujarat[/caption] Dedicated to the moon god and being one of the 12 jyotirlingas, somnath temple complex is counted among one of the most important and relevant Hindu pilgrimage centres in the world. Located comfortably on the Arabian Sea shore the temple is open for visitation from devotees and devout Hindus from far and wide. It is one of the holiest places in India and caters to numerous pilgrims on a daily basis.
Read Also: Top 10 Tips to Visit India for First-timers
4. Ranakpur temple, Rajasthan[caption id="attachment_10518" align="aligncenter" width="810"] Ranakpur temple, Rajasthan[/caption] One of the most auspicious Indian pilgrimage destinations in India, Ranakpur is one of the oldest and the most significant Jain temple which is located within beautiful surroundings and provides its visitors with an overall tranquil ambience caused due to immense spirituality. Adorned with impressive carvings you will be allowed to drench yourself in deep devotion of the lord and take away with you a lifetime worth of memories.
5. Tirumala Venkateswara temple, Tirupati[caption id="attachment_10519" align="aligncenter" width="810"] Tirumala Venkateswara temple, Tirupati[/caption] This temple is the earthly home of Lord Venkateswara, an incarnation of Lord Vishnu, making a visit here filled with divinity and spirituality. Just like every temple of South India this temple is also known for its magnificent architecture tastefully done engravings. The temple is a towering structure which attracts almost 60,000 devotees and pilgrims on a daily basis making it one of the most visited Hindu temples in India.
6. Hemkund sahib, Uttarakhand[caption id="attachment_10520" align="aligncenter" width="810"] Hemkund sahib, Uttarakhand[/caption] Located at one of the most peaceful places in Chamoli district at an elevation of 4,633 metres, Hemkund Sahib is dedicated to the 1oth Sikh guru, Guru Gobind Singh, making it one of the most highly revered places of worship for Sikh pilgrims and devotees. The journey here commences from Govindghat and the final pilgrimage site is surrounded by snow capped mountains and the temple requires pilgrims to walk up to it crossing the Hemkund glacier.
7. Ajmer Sharif, Ajmer[caption id="attachment_10524" align="aligncenter" width="800"] Ajmer Sharif, Ajmer[/caption] This is the resting place of Khwaja Moinuddin chisti and is flocked by pilgrims and devotees in millions from different parts of India and the world, throughout the year. The sacred shrine is not just limited for Muslim visitors but the gates are open for people from different faiths as well, Ajmer Sharif is most famous sacred sites in India for Muslims. This heart captivating and calming shrine guarantees you an experience filled with extreme spirituality and deep devotion.
8. Amaranth cave, Jammu and Kashmir[caption id="attachment_10525" align="aligncenter" width="810"] Amaranth cave, Jammu and Kashmir[/caption] Situated in the magnificent state of Jammu and Kashmir, pilgrims and devotees trek up to this shrine to offer their prayers. This cave has always been extremely significant as a part of Hindu pilgrimage site in India since the ancient times because it is believed that this is the same cave where Lord Shiva gave the secret of immortality to his wife, Goddess Parvati. The naturally created ice Linga is the presiding deity here making it one of the most spiritual locations in India.
9. Kashi Vishwanath temple, Varanasi[caption id="attachment_10526" align="aligncenter" width="810"] Kashi Vishwanath temple, Varanasi[/caption] Dedicated to Lord Shiva and home to one of the 12 Jyotirlingas, this temple stands on the bank of the holy Ganga River. The name of the temple has been mentioned several times in a lot of ancient Hindu scriptures. It has been destroyed and re constructed a number of times in the past and it sees numerous visitors from across the subcontinent as well as the globe on a daily basis.
10. Vrindavan, Uttar Pradesh[caption id="attachment_10527" align="aligncenter" width="810"] Vrindavan, Uttar Pradesh[/caption] This is the place where Lord Krishna had spent his childhood days making it one of the most important pilgrimage sites for Hindu devotees of Lord Krishna. Every alleyway, monument and structure present here has the hint of the Lord present in it. The extreme spirituality of this place sets it on a higher pedestal of pilgrimage as compared to other pilgrimage destinations. You will not only witness the miraculous place but you will also have a soul enriching experience here.
11. Haridwar, Uttarakhand[caption id="attachment_10528" align="aligncenter" width="810"] Haridwar, Uttarakhand[/caption] The enchanting land of Haridwar, Uttarakhand is filled with numerous temples dedicated to the presiding deity of the town, Lord Shiva. It is considered as one of the holiest towns in India for its strategic location by the shore of the holy Ganga River. The famous ganga arti here is witnessed by devotees from far and wide who gather here to feel the presence and blessings of the Lord.
Read Also: Top 10 Religious Places in Uttarakhand